So today is jerky day, well it actually began on Thursday with the slicing and marinating, but today is the smoking day! Two batches on the go today. Started with a 4kg piece of round steak, split it into two portions and away we went. Some is cut into long thin strips and some into larger pieces, just experimenting to get optimum textures in finished product.
I’m using FrogMat to rest the jerky on, it stops things falling through the grill bars and also means you can lay everything out on the mat and then easily slide the mat onto shelves in preheated smoker, minimises heat loss and makes process of loading smoker much easier!
First up is a Chilli Lime Jerky, first time with the new Hark Big Boss Gas Smoker so lets see how we go.
- 2k round steak
- 2 tsp liquid smoke Don’t add if using a smoker (I’m using a smoke so no liquid smoke here)
- 4 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 8 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp lime juice (i used two fresh limes)
- zest of of 2 fresh limes
- Pick you favorite type of beef and trim all visible fat. Place the meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours to partially freeze. This allows for easier slicing and more consistent widths.
- Mix all above ingredients in a container with a tight fitting lid. Whisk marinade until all brown sugar is dissolved.
- Remove beef from the freezer and slice against the grain between ⅛”-1/4″ thick.
- Add sliced beef to the container of marinade and shake well to evenly coat the meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6-48 hrs.
- After marinating, remove and dry the strips with paper towels. Dry your meat using your preferred jerky making method. Mine went into smoker at 110C for 4 hours, added handful of applewood for the smoke.
- Jerky will be finished when it bends and cracks, but does not break in half. Allow to cool for several hours before storing in an air tight container.
Second batch for the day is a Sweet Heat Sriracha Jerky that I found the recipe for online at JerkyHolic.
The method is as above using these ingredients for 2kg of round steak.
- 2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 cup sriracha sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tsp granulated ginger
- 4 tsp granulated garlic
- 4 tsp salt